Wednesday, September 19, 2007

I was relieved to be greeted by Jeannie, the ultrasound tech I trusted most at the hospital. She began the scan, and worked for what seemed a long time. She could find the sac, but its location was making it difficult to finds what she was looking for. She called in the reinforcements. Two radiologists arrived and began their own exam. I had been subjected to many trans-vaginal ultrasounds in the past, but none were as invasive and painful as what the to radiologists put me through. the inserted the probe and began pushing, twisting and otherwise jarringly manipulating it around what was an accommodating, but not altogether large space. I half-expected the probe to come exploding through the top of my skull. But the pain was not for naught. The doctors fund what they were looking for. The first thing they discovered was the cause of my bleeding. There was a small hematoma in he gestational sac. Basically, it is a pocket if blood that, in my case, was leaking for whatever reason. But they also found the gestational ac, the yolk sac, and, amazingly, my little baby, looking like no more than a blob, but with a tiny heart beating away. I cried, just a little. I went home feeling a little better, but concerned about the hematoma. I knew mine was small, but I also discovered, through endless googling, that it could grow, and it could endanger my pregnancy and possibly, if things got to a certain point, my life. But, I was encouraged when my doctor informed me that the pregnancy was not ectopic, so one worry had been eliminated. He did tell me that the heartbeat was not as high as he would have liked, but that it was still early and we would check again in a week or two. Another to add to the worry column.

No comments: